Judge: Lindsey Hancock Warden (University Middle School)
Resolution: Finals Week: This House Believes that Animal Testing Should be Banned.
|Click to begin|
Click on the other tabs to watch watch that speech.
Posted at May 19, 2020 04:50:21AM EST by Vera Tolari
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) 09/14/2018 ("New IAEA Report Highlights Nuclear Power's Role in Mitigating Climate Change") https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/pressreleases/new-iaea-report-highlights-nuclear-powers-role-in-mitigating-climate-change
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) 07/05/2019 ("The 17th INPRO Dialogue Forum on Opportunities and Challenges in Small Modular Reactors") https://www.iaea.org/events/evt1803515
- Matt Fisher 09/19/2017 (International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), "Nuclear High Temperature Heat Could Replace Fossil Fuels in Industry, Mitigate Climate Change") https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/nuclear-high-temperature-heat-could-replace-fossil-fuels-in-industry-mitigate-climate-change
- Matt Fisher 10/09/2019 (International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), "China Highlights Nuclear Innovation to Meet Climate Goals at IAEA Conference") https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/china-highlights-nuclear-innovation-to-meet-climate-goals-at-iaea-conference
- Laura Gil 09/03/2018 (International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), "Is Africa Ready for Nuclear Energy?") https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/is-africa-ready-for-nuclear-energy
- Admiral James O. Ellis Jr., George P. Shultz 08/09/2017 (Hoover Institution, "The Benefits Of Nuclear Power") https://www.hoover.org/research/benefits-nuclear-power
- Laura Gil 11/25/2016 (International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), "Dominican Republic Uses Nuclear Technology to Win the War against Fruit Flies") https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/dominican-republic-uses-nuclear-technology-to-win-the-war-against-fruit-flies
- Dwight D. Eisenhower 12/08/1953 (470th Plenary Meeting of the United Nations General Assembly, "Atoms for Peace Speech") https://undocs.org/pdf?symbol=en/A/PV.470 [line 106] **or** https://www.iaea.org/about/history/atoms-for-peace-speech
Posted at May 19, 2020 12:03:18PM EST by Kim-Ha Nguyen
None available for this speech.
Posted at May 21, 2020 05:39:50AM EST by Vera Tolari
- Richard Rhodes 07/19/2019 (Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, "Why Nuclear Power Must Be Part of the Energy Solution") https://e360.yale.edu/features/why-nuclear-power-must-be-part-of-the-energy-solution-environmentalists-climate
- Mike Mueller 04/22/2020 (U.S. Office of Nuclear Energy, "Nuclear Power is the Most Reliable Energy Source and It's Not Even Close") https://www.energy.gov/ne/articles/nuclear-power-most-reliable-energy-source-and-its-not-even-close
- Jordan Flagel 04/18/2017 (Canada West Foundation "Embracing nuclear for Canada’s energy future, Part two: Nuclear energy is cheap energy") https://cwf.ca/research/publications/embracing-nuclear-for-canadas-energy-future-part-two-nuclear-energy-is-cheap-energy/
- Jose Goldemberg 2009 (Dædalus Journal of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, "Nuclear energy in developing countries") https://www.amacad.org/publication/nuclear-energy-developing-countries
- Nicholas L. Miller 11/2017 (Harvard's Belfer Center, "Nuclear Energy and the Spread of Nuclear Weapons: How Worried Should We Be?") https://www.belfercenter.org/sites/default/files/files/publication/ispb%20nuclear%20energy%20nonpro%20-%20draft%202_FINAL.pdf
- Jordan Wilkerson 11/25/2016 (Harvard Graduate School of the Arts and Sciences, "Reconsidering the Risks of Nuclear Power") http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2016/reconsidering-risks-nuclear-power/
- Pushker A. Kharecha and James E. Hansen 03/15/2013 (American Chemical Society, "Prevented Mortality and Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Historical and Projected Nuclear Power") https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/es3051197
- Michael Shellenberger 03/11/2019 (Forbes, "It Sounds Crazy, But Fukushima, Chernobyl, And Three Mile Island Show Why Nuclear Is Inherently Safe") https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/03/11/it-sounds-crazy-but-fukushima-chernobyl-and-three-mile-island-show-why-nuclear-is-inherently-safe/#25e5e5b61688
- Stephen Jarvis, Olivier Deschenes, and Akshaya Jha 12/2019 (National Bureau of Economic Research, Working Paper 26598, "The Private and External Costs of Germany's Nuclear Phase-Out") https://www.nber.org/papers/w26598.pdf
Apart from citations made in opening speech that were referenced in this rebuttal.
Transcript of full speech is in youtube video's description for clarity.
Posted at May 21, 2020 10:15:24PM EST by Kim-Ha Nguyen
None available for this speech.
This match has been completed. Show the Decision.
Submitted at May 24, 2020 10:14:02PM EST by Lindsey Hancock Warden
|Category||Vera Tolari||Kim-Ha Nguyen|
|Use of evidence:||5||2.5|
|Coherence of arguments:||5||3|
|Responsiveness to opponent:||5||3|
|Identification of key points:||4||3|
|Comments:||Good job. I love the incorporation of the evidence.||If you are going to make attacks on your opponent's topicality, you need to flesh it out more. You went all in and this time it didn't work.|
The decision is for the Proposition: Vera Tolari
Reason for Decision:
Opposition did not respond to proposition on the basis that they were not thoroughly defending the resolution. Proposition proves this is incorrect and moreover, they have many untouched contentions since the opp decided to attack the case a priori.